Sunday, November 01, 2015

Jacaranda time...

We always make sure we include a trip to Herberton at this time of the year to see the jacarandas.

The displays aren't as stunning as the southern avenues and parkland, but I think I enjoy these trees so much because they pop up, dotting the hillsides, in what is normally pretty dry and dusty country. It's such a lovely surprise to emerge out of the bush and there they are...



Herberton is an old mining town to the west (still on the Tablelands) and the minerals in the soil give the trees a depth of colour that my camera couldn't quite capture.

 But I thought they were still worth sharing.

When I was growing up in Brisbane and we still had major external exams, there was a saying, "If you haven't started studying before the jacarandas flower, you've left it too late.' :)

2 comments:

2paw said...

Beautiful trees, and I love local sayings!! We used to plant tomatoes on Show Day but over time it has changed and we have to wait till later in the year. We also say "As the days grow longer, the cold gets stronger", which means our coldest Winter months are after the Winter solstice. We are having a small drought: only 0.6ml of rain last month instead of the average 76. I wish rain for all, appropriate amounts. No floods thank you!!

Barbara Hannay said...

I hope you get that much needed rain. It was lovely to see western Queensland get some last week, although for farmers, unexpected rain can be exactly what they don't want.