Friday, February 15, 2008

You wouldn't believe the rain we're having here in NQ. My editor rang from London last night and I was busy being professional, but when I told her about the rain, I don't think she really "got" it. Later, I wished I'd opened the door and held the phone outside so she hear the racket of the rain thundering down.
Anyway... it's actually much more serious than the photo up the top suggests. People all over the state are being forced to evacuate. It's reminding me of the 1974 floods. That was the summer of Cyclone Tracy in Darwin and the Brisbane floods. I remember lending all my baby equipment to a mother and baby evacuated from Darwin to Townsville. And my mum in Brisbane took in masses of washing for flood victims.
And to think, a few months ago, we were in the grip of drought. Dorothea McKellar certainly got it right...

I love a sunburnt country
A land of sweeping plains
Of rugged mountain ranges
Of drought and flooding rains

OK, enough about the weather. Here are the answers to yesterday's quiz. How did you go?

  1. Henry James
  2. Ernest Hemingway
  3. Tracy Sinclair
  4. D.H. Lawrence
  5. Lorna Read
  6. Anne Mather
  7. John Folwes
  8. Anne Weal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, Barb! I hope the rain stops and things settle down quickly.

Hugs,

Jennie