Monday, February 06, 2012

Interesting...

Today I decided not to bother with the handwriting...  (yes, I'm not great at keeping new habits)... and the writing has been a real struggle. So I guess I'll be getting out paper and pen again. It's worth a try if you're feeling blocked or jaded or in need of a change of chair...

Taking a break... I had a lovely phone conversation this afternoon with my aunt in Sydney who's been very ill but is feeling a bit better at the moment. Gosh, it was lovely to hear her voice sounding strong and happy.

 And now I'm going to give some thought to my speech for next week when I'll be talking in Townsville at the Thuringowa Library for National Year of Reading. 

If anyone feels like sharing why reading is an important part of your life, I'd love to hear...

4 comments:

Anne said...

Barb, I've taught adults how to read for decades, as a separate part of my working life because I can't imagine life without reading -- not just for the practical purposes, but because reading has taken me to so many wonderful places and worlds and times, and into so many fascinating minds, and given me so many rich and wonderful insights into life and other people, I want others to be able to do that too.

2paw said...

I am very excited about The Year of Reading. Your Library patrons are very lucky to have you as their speaker!!

Barbara Hannay said...

Anne, I think the work you do with adult literacy is absolutely wonderful. I'm in total admiration, and I'm horrified by the national literacy figures that the librarians are quoting.

Anne said...

Barb, it's not all about the failure of the school system. Those figures also include the many adult migrants who are not functional in written English. Some of them have lived here for many years, have lived very successful and productive lives, but haven't ever had time to learn to read or write in English.