Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An about to be famous author


A month or so ago I posted about the launch of Café du Jour by Lilian Darcy, but I hadn't actually read it at the time. Now I've finally read her book and I don’t say finally lightly. Over the past few months I’ve found reading a challenge and I’m not sure why. It’s just taken me three weeks to get through a little Dick Francis novel. But I read Cafe du Jour in two days (while still completing my word count).

And I loved it. Loved? I was overawed, inspired, completely blown away. In case you can’t guess I thought it was fabulous and I think it’s a terrible shame that it won’t be published overseas.

There were so many things I liked about it – the wonderful tension of Susie’s relationship with Jody. The workshops – Lilian's imagination is incredible. The hospital scenes with Karen - especially the session with the occupational therapist. So enlightening. There were great plot turns, and there was nice Dr. Ewan and a host of other interesting characters.

I loved the little coffee metaphors at the end of each chapter. A type of coffee was described to represent each day in the story.

e.g. p. 36

A big, thick stoneware mug of basic morning caffeine -and-milk, which sometimes tastes bitter if I sip it too slowly. So I gulp it instead.

The character insights were also v clever. But most of all, I loved Lilian's writing. Wow! I probably thought wow almost every second sentence.

I feel so proud to have a friend who's written a such a wonderful 'real' book! I know, shoot me for saying that, but it's how I feel. Lilian has written 75 category romances, which is a fantastic feat, but I believe she has a great talent for literary fiction. So let's hope this book is the start of a brilliant literary career as well.


And it's not too late to buy your own copy of Cafe du Jour. I saw them in Target yesterday!

No comments: