Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Oscars…



Coming in late here... but I stayed up late on Monday night to watch the Oscars. I do love them. Yes, I love the glamour and the gowns and the stars, but mainly I love them because I love cinema so very much – almost as much as I love books. And now that my children have flown the nest, I can go to the movies quite often – whenever I’m in the city, that is…
I find movies inspire my muse in subtle ways I could never quite identify. This year, I particularly enjoyed the tributes former Oscar winners made in person to the new nominees. I found their comments very interesting and insightful and inspiring and generous…

Over this past year I’ve been lucky enough to see many of the nominated movies:
Changeling
Revolutionary Road
The Dark Knight
Slumdog Millionaire
Happy Go Lucky
Australia
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Iron Man
Revolutionary Road

Of course, I enjoyed movies that weren’t nominated too, (or if they were nominated, I missed seeing them in the abridged late night version we saw here) Movies like:
Gran Torino
Mamma Mia
Burn After Reading
Hunting and Gathering

Now, I really want to see:
The Wrestler
Doubt
Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Harvey’s Last Chance

And what were my personal favourites this year? I’d have to say:
Slumdog Millionaire (If you haven't seen this, you must. I promise you, it's brilliant!!)
Happy Go Lucky (Feel good and deep and original)
Revolutionary Road (First class acting all round)

OH, and my current heroine looks rather like Kate Winslet, in my imagination. What were your favourites?

3 comments:

Eleni Konstantine said...

Wow, that's an impressive list of movies you have gone to see. I love movies too.

Out of your list I've seen The Dark Knight (but on DVD), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and Iron Man.

I also enjoyed Twilight and Indiana Jones 4. I love my action flicks. :))

But I would like to see Slumdog Millionaire, Revolutionary Road and The Wrestler in particularly. And Frost/Nixon would be interesting to see too.

JoyfullyHis said...

I loved the Oscars as well and enjoyed Hugh Jackman immensely. It's always interesting to me to hear the actors as they normally are, accents and all. Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses and I've enjoyed seeing her win all those awards. Sadly, in our one horse (3,000 cows and one guinea) town, the movie theater is a long drive away, but we do have a movie rental store that allows you to rent for one night. So that's how we watch our movies. I'll have to wait to watch Slumdog Millionaire, but it is definitely on my list. Now if I can just convince my husband to see Mama Mia....

Barbara Hannay said...

My husband wasn't keen to see Mamma Mia, so we watched it on DVD -- and he was pleasantly surprised! It's very entertaining!!!