Thursday, April 09, 2009

One a penny, two a penny... hot cross buns

This year, I forgot – for the first year ever – to buy hot cross buns for Good Friday, probably because none of my children is here to eat them. But I’m not comfortable with broken traditions, so I decided I had no choice this year. I had to bake my own buns.
Slight problem – actually, a few slight problems…
a) I have very little experience in baking buns
b) I didn’t have scales for measuring ingredients properly
c) No currants – so had to use sultanas
d) No mixed spice – so I mixed ground cinnamon with ginger and freshly grated nutmeg


Nevertheless, I started off bravely, but… it’s just as well my deadline is behind me, because baking buns is rather more time consuming than I’d realised. The dough had to be kneaded for ten minutes to start with – and then set aside for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
I re-potted some plants while the dough was rising – and the poor things were rather grateful, as they’ve been desperate for bigger pots for years now. Some of the plants we’d brought from our suburban garden when we moved to the apartment, and they’ve been struggling on our balcony in Townsville. They’re looking happier already in their new pots.




OK, hands scrubbed, gardening clothes off. Back in the kitchen, the buns had to rise a second time – and then there was the whole fun of making the crosses (using a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off), and glazing – I didn’t have a brush so I improvised with makeup remover pads. That sounds dreadful, but they work quite well, and they were hygienic, I assure you.

And after all that, the buns weren't quite the same as the ones you buy in the shops, but quite edible… too edible, to be honest.

2 comments:

2paw said...

Necessity is the mother of invention, and buns apparently!!! At our house we won't eat buns until Easter week, usually on the Wednesday when the Gardeners come for Morning Tea. I am not very good with yeast baking but your Hot Cross Buns look delicious!!

JoyfullyHis said...

Kudos for the improv. And even though kids aren't there to eat them, it still counts that you're keeping the tradition alive. They sure do look yummy.