Monday, October 27, 2008

a few shots from Tarzali...


Our first jacaranda blossoms -- a big deal for us as we couldn't grow jacarandas in Townsville. When I was growing up in Brisbane, there was a saying that if students hadn't started studying for their exams before the jacarandas start to flower, they've left it too late!



I love the patterns of light and shade that play over the hills around us. The background for this tree goes through so many combinations in any given day.


This gap between the hills is known as Gentle Annie and it's one of my favourite sections of our view. The road to Ravenshoe, the highest town in Queensland, passes through here.
Last evening, to cap off a perfectly beautiful day, we had fireflies! At dusk, Elliot and I went for a walk along our cutting (our property has an old disused railway cutting running through it) and we counted sixteen fireflies! So exciting and beautiful -- exactly like Tinkerbell fairies, flitting through the trees and around our heads.

6 comments:

Magdalena Scott said...

Barbara, your photos are beautiful. My goodness, what inspiration! Different, certainly, from Susan Wiggs' "View" but still gorgeous.

I live in Indiana, where it is autumn. I've noticed the leaves' colors are not as vibrant as usual. It has been a hard year for our trees. Fortunately, they tend to endure most of what is thrown at them.

Barbara Hannay said...

I love autumn leaves, Magdalena. Here in the tropics, we don't have true seasons.
Hope your trees have better conditions next year.

Anonymous said...

Our country is so huge that where you live looks so different to where I live!! We have clear and true light blue skies at the moment, or dark black clouds. Temperatures are 31*C one day and then 15 the next!! No slow gentle change for us here. I don't think I have ever seen a firefly. How wonderful!!

Barbara Hannay said...

2 paw, the tablelands look different from anywhere else we've loved, too. I think that's part of the fascination for us. We're four hours from Townsville, but we feel as if we're in another country here. It's almost as if we're in the UK or Europe -- except we still have kookaburras!!!

Eleni Konstantine said...

Those photos are just heavenly Barb.

Barbara Hannay said...

Glad you like them, Eleni. I hope all is well in beautiful South Aussie.