Thursday, October 02, 2008

This is the post that should have been added last week, but... oops, I was too busy writing...

Back at our little place in the country again. We only have eleven days here before we have to be back in town, so am making the most of it, although I’m on a deadline which tends to keep me indoors too much.

It’s spring and on the Tablelands that means all the bulbs are out or coming into bloom – agapanthus, hippeastrums, day lilies, crinum lilies… I’ve been madly planting bulbs to add to my collection. I like the idea of a river of blooms running down our hillside in spring.

This is very unlike the warm tropical coast, where – would you believe – many of the trees turn red and gold and lose their leaves in the spring. According to my son, they’re getting ready for the hot weather when they lose too much water through transpiration. It’s something I want to learn more about.

Went to the Yungaburra markets this morning and bought irises and dill. I know the deep blue irises will look gorgeous growing next to my red hippeastrums. And the dill will be scrumptious on potatoes or salmon. We’re eating home grown herbs with almost every meal these days.

I’m currently reading The Pact by Jodi Picoult. She’s an incredibly powerful writer. I am totally invested emotionally in the characters and I don’t want to put the book down. Pity about my looming deadline. I’m just hoping the ending isn’t quite as sad as the ending to My Sister’s Keeper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How very stranbge that the leaves turn in Spring. We have blossom and wattle and all the grrenery is coming. The roses are starting to grow and the camellias are out. It is still too cold for tomatoes etc. We can wait till December sometimes before we are frost free!!! I am about to start Nation by Terry Pratchett!!! I don't read sadly ending books if I can help it.