Thursday, November 02, 2006

Country doings…



The neighbour’s cows got out yesterday – broke through the fence into another paddock where the grass was, of course, greener. One got badly torn by the barbwire fence and another, who couldn’t make it through the fence, mooed loudly, feeling left out, I guess.

Elliot badly wanted to be the city guy who rescued his country neighbour’s stock, but was worried the cow would be hurt more if he tried to get it back to the fence.

A pair of peewees has been frantically trying to chase magpies away from their nest, but we fear the nasty magpies got the peewees’ babies.

We saw a huge, marvelously striped python in a tree with a big bulge in his middle – a small rabbit perhaps??

Last night dingoes were howling on the hills opposite us and we hoped the cattle (not ours) were safe. And during the night a thick white mist moved in across the valley. So pretty…

Oh, and I’ve written 6,301 words of my next book, so I’m making steady progress.

I’m determined to get this book written in a month!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't cope very well with the 'not-niceties' of country life. All the death and killing to eat: I like it all to be more sanatised!!!

Barbara Hannay said...

Well, that's how I keep it in my books, 2paw.

And, to be honest, I agree with you. Mostly I prefer the lovely scenery and the garden -- and the birds.
But it's a bit hard to be here and avoid the real stuff!
David Atenborough moments, I call them.

Barbara Hannay said...

Pity I can't spell Attenborough.

Anonymous said...

Barb - we were driving on Exmoor last weekend when a rolling fog came through - quiet eerie but wonderful. And winter has arrived quite suddenly with the last two mornings bringing fosts and icy windscreens. But so long as I have somewhere cosy to go I am loving it.

Anonymous said...

Talking about spelling.....frosts!

Barbara Hannay said...

Sounds gorgeous, Marg. I hope you have a white Christmas.