Sunday, November 05, 2006

Ok, so I’m making steady progress…


I’ve written two chapters.

But I’m not sure how fast I can flog this horse. There are some things that take this author time to think through. Like who my characters really are… what are their goals, their most embarrassing secrets and darkest fears… and what can happen to them that might really surprise the reader...

And I read something in the RWR yesterday that made me remember that making the deadline isn’t everything.

In an interview, Karen Marie Moning, was asked: How do you deal with the discouragement that comes from throwing away a day’s (week’s, month’s etc.) work?

And she said: ‘The first few times threw me into a serious funk. But then I began to see a pattern. Every time I discarded a scene or a few chapters and tried again – it turned out better, I believe when I toss a scene or a section in my book it’s because something in my gut is saying “this isn’t right, this isn’t what you really mean,” or “you’re writing with half a brain because you’re tired” or “you’re too worried about your deadline to completely lose yourself in the story.” Never make that mistake. I’m in the Douglas Adam’s camp: he said the thing he loved most about deadlines was the whooshing sound they made when they passed him by.’

Thank you Karen.

I was so pleased to be reminded of this. I’ve always prided myself on making deadlines, but until now have also managed to take the time to write the best book I can, and this forcing process, while getting me to stop fiddling around too much, has bothered me, because I’m not doing enough deep thinking and day dreaming…

So the new plan is to push on, to try to make the deadline, but if I feel anything about the story is being compromised by hurrying, I’m giving myself permission to slow down. I’m a wallower. I love to wallow in books I read and in books I write… to picture everything in detail… and to feel everything along with the characters… to lose myself in their world…

And I also plan to read one of Karen Marie Moning’s books. Doesn’t this one sound terrific?

For eons Adam Black has aided humanity and meddled in its affairs, much to the chagrin of the queen of the Seelie Court. He has finally pushed her too far and finds himself, a once powerful Fae, invisible and very human. But he is still as resourceful as ever, and finds a way to reach the queen and plea to have his curse lifted with the help of a young lawyer, Gabrielle O'Callaghan, a human born with the ability to see his kind. As old enemies yearn to take advantage of his weakened state, threatening his life and all existence, Adam discovers that Gabrielle threatens a heart he never thought he had. RITA Award-winning Moning's fans may now rejoice that Adam, a reoccurring charmer from her previous novels, has his own story at last, and all readers who love humorous fantasy romance filled to the brim with fantasy-worthy Highlanders will find Moning's latest to be a sensuous treat. John Charles
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

No comments: