Sunday, February 15, 2009

A recipe I'd like to share...

This Women's Weekly recipe is easy and nutrtitious and low fat, and better still it's been a big hit with family and friends, so I thought it was too good to keep to myself. These quantities are for two, but it's very easy to expand and I've made it without the chicken stock and with various vegetable combinations and it was still good.

Mind you, I'm aware that American readers might find it strange, because I don't think you eat much lamb, or pumpkin as a vegetable.

spiced lamb cutlets with coriander pumpkin
200 butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1 cm pieces
125g chickpeas, rinsed, drained
1/2 cup (60g) frozen baby peas
2 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
4 french trimmed lamb cutlets
2 teaspoons curry powder
cooking oil spray
1/3 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons chicken stock
1 clove garlic, crushed

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C/180 fan forced
2. Roast pumpkin in small, shallow baking dish, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add chickpeas and cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Remove from oven, sprinkle with coriander.
3. Meanwhile, sprinkle lamb with curry powder. (I coat mine fairly liberally). Spray lamb with cooking oil. Cook lamb in heated frying pan. Remove from pan.
4. Add coconut milk, stock and garlic to same pan, bring to boil, stirring in pan juices and spice; remove from heat.
5. Serve pumpkin mixture and lamb, drizzled with coconut sauce.

3 comments:

Miss Bougie said...

Sounds yummy...will certainly try your recipe. I looove trying out recepies from other countries and when we go abroad you'll always be able to track me down in some cooking book aisle in a bookstore. That also goes for the spices aisle at the supermarket, which on our Australia trip happened to be at Woolworths in Broken Hill. Stayed clear of one spice which had the words "bush tucker" in it; I must admit, I chickened out there. One question, though. What might "french trimmed" be?!

Barbara Hannay said...

Some of the bush tucker herbs are really yummy, Brigitte. There's a bush tucker orchard next to us at Tarzali.
But I agree, there are plenty of great spices in the world without trying them.
French trimmed means 'with the fat cut off'. In Australia, we can buy the cutlets already trimmed which saves us from the temptation of leaving the fat on.
Not sure why it's called french. I guess that's where the practice started.
In fact I'm sure that must be it -- after all, I've read the book "Why French Women don't get fat". :)

Barbara Hannay said...

meant to add... I don't think it's occurred to me to investigate the spice aisles in supermarkets when I travel. I'm not what I'd call a "natural" cook. But when we stayed in a cottage in Mouton in France, I loved trying the recipes there. Made a fab French onion soup.