Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A good day

Yesterday my family had a very exciting day. We were able to give Elliot his extra birthday present, a painting we'd commissioned Peter Lawson, a north Queensland artist, to create. (Yes, Peter is related to Australia's famous writer, Henry Lawson.)

The painting was my son Richard's idea and we sent Peter lots of photographs of Elliot and his beloved haunt, the Burdekin River, where he loves to canoe and fish and where we all spent many very happy camping holidays when the children were young.

In fact, my first book, Outback Wife and Mother, was set on a cattle property on the banks of the Burdekin.





We didn't want a portrait as such -- just a scene with Elliot in it. And we're just thrilled with the result. I confess, I cried when I saw it, just knowing how much he would love it, which he does.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful gift: one to be treasure always!! No wonder you are always able to make our country come alive in your books...

Barbara Hannay said...

Thanks 2paw. I'm thinking that maybe my love of the Oz landscape defines my "brand". (Harking back to an earlier post.)Paradoxically, it's not what readers buy romance books for, but it's what most people comment on about my books.

Anne McAllister said...

What a gorgeous painting, Barb. And such a wonderful gift. Your son has great ideas.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, Barb and the landscape in your books really is another 'character'.

Liz Fielding said...

How lovely, Barb. Many happy returns to Elliot.

And actually I do think people buy books for a sense of "place". A feeling they get that it's somewhere they know. A sort of coming home.

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

What a gorgeous gift, Barb.
So very special for all of you.