Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How one author celebrated her RITA nomination


I’ve been away at Tarzali for a few days and while I was there, I received the fabulous news that Claiming His Family has finalled in the Traditional section of Romance Writers of America’s RITA competition.

In the world of romance writers, this is the equivalent of being nominated for an Oscar, so I was a tad excited. Elliot was determined that we must go out to celebrate. That guy will grab every possible chance to celebrate!

“But it’s Monday night,” I tell him. “Nothing will be open up here.”

“We’ll find somewhere,” replies my confident husband.

And so we set off.

Now the Tablelands, for those who aren’t familiar, have villages (for want of a better description) all about twenty minutes (driving) apart. We headed off from Tarzali (home of The Round Bar) and went through Malanda (which has quite a good a pub and a motel with a restaurant) intent on finding one of the cute, little, yuppie dining places at Yungaburra – the Burra Inn, Eden House, Nick’s Place, Flynn’s etc.

On the way, we barely missed running over an echidna but arrived safely and, as I predicted... every eatery was in darkness.

“Oh, well, we’ll have to go to the Chinese place at Atherton,” says Elliot, trying to sound disappointed, when I know that secretly this was where he was hoping to end up.

But, what do you think, dear reader?

Exactly.

The Chinese place at Atherton was closed too.

“See!” I exclaim in my best I-told-you-so smug voice.

We drove on in a more subdued mood to find the only places open in Atherton were a pizza shop or KFC. KFC won. Don’t ask. OK?

We drove home through the night, munching hot, salty, potato chips and finally, quite late and wrapped in a pashmina, I sat on our veranda and ate the chicken and drank some champagne and together we watched the beautiful starry sky.

And it wasn’t such a bad way to celebrate the RITA nomination after all.

10 comments:

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Huge congrats on finalling, Barb.
I'm sooo thrilled for you :)

Barbara Hannay said...

Thanks Nic. It is a buzz!

Liz Fielding said...

Aaahh! Sounds just great to me, Barb.

And many, many congratulations on your nomination!

Fiona Harper said...

That sounds like a fab way to celebrate your nomination! I did revisions on Monday night.

Barbara Hannay said...

Hi Fiona,
I guess if I'd had revisions this week I would have been doing them, too.
Congratulations on your fantastic double nomination! And have a ball in Dallas!

Ally Blake said...

Such lovely lovely news Barb! I'm sooooo thrilled for you! And that sounds like a great way to celebrate - unexpectedly...

Ally

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Congratulations, Barb!!! And, yes, it does sound like a perfect celebration. I hope you're going to celebrate in Dallas as well. That white scarf needs another outing! :-)

Bron

Barbara Hannay said...

Thanks, Bron, but sadly the white scarf won't be going to Dallas this year, even though I seem to specialize in finalling in Dallas.

Barbara Hannay said...

Thanks to all of you for your kind congrats!

Anonymous said...

Barbara - many congratulations on your nomination. Glad you had a lovely evening. BTW lots of restaurants in provincial UK are closed on Mondays too - and we don't get the bonus of an exotic drive through the wilds.:)