Saturday, June 06, 2009

An author to lunch...

Yesterday, we were thrilled that fabulous Presents author Trish Morey and her husband could visit us. They'd flown all the way to FNQ from South Australia for the Queen's Birthday long weekend, and they zipped up from a resort on the coast for a day trip to the Tablelands in a snazzy sports car.
Of course we talked shop over lunch. Not entirely, but honestly, that's a big reason why writers like to get together, and our dear husbands understand this, the tolerant darlings. I was able to share with Trish some old Mills & Boons I found in the Salvation Army at Mareeba by treasured favourites from a bygone era -- Mary Burchell, Violet Winspear, Anne Weale, Sally Wentworth. As I was a late discoverer of M&Bs, I love the chance to read some of these older books. Even though romance stories keep changing with the time I still like to understand the genre's roots.


Thanks for dropping in, Trish, it was fab. Hope you're having a wonderful time for the rest of your weekend.

2 comments:

Eleni Konstantine said...

How great that you could catch up with each other for lunch and a great chat.

Magdalena Scott said...

Barbara, sounds like a lovely day! Talking shop in person with another writer is a treat. I do hope you got a trip around the "block" in that convertible. It's so nice to have a friend with a convertible. ;)

Oh my--Violet Winspear? THE HONEY IS BITTER was the first romance novel I ever read. I've thought of buying another copy since mine disintegrated long ago. Would be nice to have that as a memento...

Ooh--I feel a blog coming on. Happy Sunday!