Wednesday, October 07, 2009

back in business...

The past few weeks have been non-writing weeks for all kinds of reasons. A lot of real life stuff has been happening, but at last I'm sitting down for a full day's writing. I've actually started this book several times now, trying different approaches. Different scenes. Different points of view. I don't know if it's because I've been distracted, or because this story is tricky, but nothing felt right.
To cap everything off, I spent yesterday with a blood pressure machine strapped to me. It's an interesting experience when the cuff starts to tighten just as you're reaching for something on a high shelf in the supermarket, or when you're changing lanes in peak hour traffic. I thought I'd never sleep last night, but amazingly, I must have slept through several "readings".

Now that's over and I'm at my desk and I think this story is starting to come together. No more advance planning for me. It didn't work. I was bored after chapter one. So now it's a new story (above) and once again, my characters are emerging from the mist... and we're about to set off on a new journey together.

2 comments:

2paw said...

I know all about the blood pressure things!! I am glad you were able to sleep and I hope you get some positive news!!
Well, I think it is good to try something new every now and then, but often it's the tried and true we go back to every time. Hope the words flow now!!

Lacey Devlin said...

Well you learn something new everyday! I had no idea they doctors had come up with the idea to keep poor people strapped to blood pressure cuffs all day! Do you ever think they're sitting in their office laughing at us?